RE: stuck wire wheel

To: <ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com>
Subject: RE: stuck wire wheel
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 06:49:11 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumph List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Greg,

I'm on the digest, so this has probably already been suggested, but put the
knockoff back, but leave a little free play, and roll or drive the car a
short distance.  You may want to tape to spinner to the spokes to make sure
it doesn't come off completely.  You can also try rocking the car
side-to-side with the wheel on the ground.  I've never had this problem with
my splines, but I have used this both methods on bolt-on type wheels.

I know you got the car with the wheel stuck like this, but for the future
may I recommend my version of spline lube.  I use a combination of high temp
grease (disk brake wheel bearing grease) and never-sieze on my splines.
Just enough to coat everything.

If you have greasy wheels, it also may help to wipe a light smear of RTV
over the nipple ends in the hub. This will keep the grease from working it's
way down the spokes and covering your wheels.

Good luck,

Jack Brooks
TS69032L
NJ car show: http://pages.hotbot.com/family/triumph