RE: GAS TANK FYI - LONG!!!

To: Gernot Vonhoegen <gernot.vonhoegen@stir.ac.uk>
Subject: RE: GAS TANK FYI - LONG!!!
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 12:31:59 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, "'vitesse@juno.com'" <vitesse@juno.com>
On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Gernot Vonhoegen wrote:

> speaking of TR7 petrol tanks, anyone got any idea if they are still
> available as new, when I changed the tank on my drophead I bought a new one
> which I managed after some calling round. I was told it was the last one
> they had, but I always think getting a new one beats cleaning and repairing
> old ones at lenght, 'cause that was what I first tried with the old one and
> I gave up after three month cause it just would start all over again.

I had to have my (TR4) tank chemical dipped then epoxied.  The shop had to
cut holes in it to make sure all the baffles had been covered with the
goop.  (Epoxy, I think; it was white)  Took a few weeks to get it to the
rad shop, from rad shop to Redi-Strip and back, then to solder up the
pinholes and slosh it full of epoxy.  Costs was $200 cdn, but I have a
good-as-new tank.  Maurice (owner) said that they haven't had any
complaints on tanks done in this fashion.

No financial interest (except the $200), but you might want to look into
this option.  I phone the "oldest rad shop in town" and went and spoke to
the owner before I took my tank in.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm