RE: POR-15

To: "Triumph List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: POR-15
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 16:47:25 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"

> Jack Brooks wrote:
> >
> > Listers,
> >
> > I'm considering POR-15 for my engine paint, inside as well as
> outside.  The
> > folks at POR-15 say it's fine, although they want me to use
> their cleaners
> > on the inside, even though it's been blasted clean.  I'm going
> to use either
> > POR-15 or a good, high gloss engine paint.
> >
> > I'm curious if anyone has used POR-15 on a block before.  Also,
> does anybody
> > know of, or experienced, any downsides, heat retention, anything???
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jack Brooks
> > TS69032L
> > Hillsdale, NJ
> > My car show: http://pages.hotbot.com/family/triumph
>
> Jack:
>
> This is strictly an IMHO, but I wouldn't use this stuff on a block.
> For one thing, you would be making pretty much an irreversible decision
> on your color choice, and the block will possibly outlive the
> subjectivity of
> that decision.  Secondly, common sense indicates to me
> that the POR-15 will retain more heat than an engine enamel; nor will you
> enjoy the process of putting it on.
>
> If you do your surface prep correctly, use a good engine enamel,
> and keep it clean,
> you'll be happy w/it for many days.

***********************

Martin,

Thanks for YHO.  ;-)

I want to use the POR-15 for the permanence.  I am sure I will not want
another color beyond Gloss Black.

My greatest concern is additional heat retention, based on something I once
heard, BUT...  I've used this stuff.  It goes on thin, the manufacturer
recommends two coats at 1-2 mils per coat.  I know of a lister who powder
coated his block.  This would concern me for heat retention, it's a plastic
coating.

I guess I am fishing for horror stories.  I've already heard a guy I know
say he knew someone who had a brother, etc, etc, who used POR-15 on a block
and had too much heat retention, but no contact or means to learn more.
There may be something intrinsically weird about POR-15 though.  That's what
I want to know.  I share your concern over heat retention, but don't have
good reason why.

Thanks again,

Jack