Retractable Seat Belts in TR-4A

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Retractable Seat Belts in TR-4A
From: r-james@tamu.edu
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 99 15:56:29
TR-4 and -4Aers:
A couple of weeks agoI purchased two retractable seat belts from (TRF or VB,
can't remember today where they came from, but they were on a sale sheet and
were
listed for the -4A I believe).  I am becoming concerned that they are not
appropriate replacements.

They are made in England (can't recall the brand), and they look and feel like
very high quality units.  The problem is that it appears from all provided
information
that the retractor unit requires a vertical mounting orientation, ie., should be
mounted at the base of the door post, perhaps, and a belt guide is provided to
be
fastened somewhere above the outside shoulder, in the fashion of 3-point belts
in
most modern automobiles.

That is to say, I don't see how it can be mounted on the original hard point
on top of the fender well.  (unless I am mistaken in my interpretation that
it needs vertical orientation).

I would appreciate any guidance from others who have purchased replacement
belt units recently.  Did I get the wrong models?  Is there still a model that
is
a closer replacement for the originals?

Thanks,
Ray