RE: TR6 Oil Pressure Line

To: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Oil Pressure Line
From: Stuart Steele <ssteele@switchsolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 17:20:13 -0600
Tony Gordon writes:

<< some snipped >>
>   Changed the oil ...puddle...looked
>   under the bonnet to see oil flowing pretty freely from the
>   oil pressure
>   gauge line.

>   Is there a way to refit the connector to the hose?  I tried
>   heating with a
>   propane torch and ended up with a lot of black plastic
>   melted ... boiling
>   water didn't do a thing apart from get my hands too hot for comfort.

As I recall, this is a plastic tube with a brass compression fitting.  I
have replaced two of these, and while I used a new fitting each time,
there is no reason that the old one shouldn't work.  Cut the plastic
hose off at an angle, put the compression nut on the tube, facing in the
correct direction ( very important, needless to say! ), put the fitting
in a vise ( gently ), and force the hose through the fitting, until
enough is through so that you can cut the plastic tube of square. ( It
is a bit tough, but it _will_ work. )  Now, cut the tube off almost
flush with the fitting. ( I say almost flush, because that is how it
looked when I removed the tube myself - it will probably work just as
well flush. )  If for some reason your oil pressure tube sternly
resists, to the point of bringing tears to the eye, a replacement
tube-and-two-fittings assembly is available from any auto parts store (
this is a standard size ), for perhaps $5.00.

Stuart Steele