SU Needle Jets

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: SU Needle Jets
From: Glen Murdoch <glen.murdoch@gat.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 08:12:26 -0800
After about 5 years I have finally started up a '62 TR4.  After doing the
initial tuning I find the engine to be running rich (as determined by the
smell of unburned hydrocarbons, spark plug condition, and exhast rhythm.

The mixing nut has been fully adjusted up.  So I'm thinking the next step
is to change to a leaner needle.

Which brings me to my question do I want to go with (SL)s or (RH)s (moss
catalog designation).  Currently I have (SM)s installed.  My first thought
was to use the (SL)s but they appear to be shorter than the (SM)s which
would allow more fuel into the mixture.

The carbs are in good shape grose jets have been installed and the float
bowl level checks out. Timing has been set at 4%BTDC per the manual, a
compression test indicates 150 on all cylinders.

Any thoughts or comments.

Thanks in advance

Glen