Dumb question of the day - lug nuts.

Subject: Dumb question of the day - lug nuts.
From: Dave Brink <dbrink@niu.edu>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:15:03 -0600
Greetings, I recently aquired an 1979 Spitfire with aluminum mags on it
(sorry, it came that way).  Anyway, it was missing a few lug nuts and
I'm trying to determine if stock nuts for a steel wheel will work so I
will have a solution to my problem.  They are the recessed washer type
with a shank that threads over the stud and goes into the wheel.
Obviously the thread size and the shank diameter are the most critical
bits, though drilling out the existing holes to fit a larger shank would
be an acceptable alternative.  Here are the dimensions:
               _
              / \
             | | | Flats (.625" minor diameter, .715" major diameter)
1.59"        | | |
 overall     ----- Washer
 length       | |  Shank (internally threaded) .52" outside diameter
              |_|    extends .44" below washer

According to a drawing I saw in the moss catalog, it appears that the
steel wheel lug nuts have a very remote chance of working, though I'm
convinced that I'm looking at an aftermarket lug nut here (it has the
words spitfire sprite midget on it and the mag center caps have an
itallic looking "A" on them).  Please help this Triumph newbie figure
out how to get his car back safely on the road if you know that stock
lugs will work or if you know where I can get a couple lugs that will
work.

Thanks.