Total Seal Ring conversion

To: "Triumph List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Total Seal Ring conversion
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 17:38:51 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Scions (who have used Total Seal rings),

I just got off the phone with Ed at Total Seal.  I am excited about their
ring conversion, but, based on some things Ed told me, I also have a major
concern about this product. While I really like the technical merits of the
Total Seal ring conversion, I am concerned about the potential for smoking
and during deceleration and at idle for my street going TR3A.

This year, I will be running a brand new 87mm bottom end with the old head,
which has cast iron valve guides, of unknown age, but never any visible
smoke under deceleration.  Next winter the engine will get a fully rebuilt
head, including viton or some sort of valve seal. I am changing heads to
"finish" the rebuild and to take advantage of the better flowing TR4A head
and manifolds.

Ed was very specific about the potential for smoking under deceleration and
possibly also at idle, due to the higher vacuum pulled by the better sealing
2nd compression ring.  Since my current head seems pretty tight, but may be
worn, I am concerned about smoking.  Since TR's are notoriously lacking in
rocker lubrication, however, I suspect the smoking, if the valves were worn,
would be minimized, compared to many other cars.

So.... just when I thought I had all my parts bought and ready to install, I
have a new dilemma.  My gut feel is that since the head has held it's oil
pretty well to date, this should be fine.

Anyone have experience here?

Jack Brooks
TS69032L
Hillsdale, NJ