Re: How does the 2 speed wiper switch work?

To: ARhodes@compuserve.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: How does the 2 speed wiper switch work?
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 22:41:02 EST
In a message dated 3/14/99 9:28:23 AM Eastern Standard Time,
ARhodes@compuserve.com writes:

> After checking the Haynes and Factory manuals and not seeing a 2 speed
switch,

>  I looked in my owners manual and found the 2 speed switch works by
switching
>  ground.
>
>  How does this actually work and is it a 2 position switch or what?
>  SPDT, etc.?

Tony,

Go to:

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/wiper-motor/

for an electrical trouble shooting guide and electrical diagrams of a WS wiper
motor.

Figure five is for an early model single speed motor, but a two speed is
similar - it just has an additional brush for the second speed. I believe the
two speed versions  were used on the TR4A and the TR250 only, but I'm not
sure. Look at the digrams for the later motors (fig 1 - 4) to get an idea how
second brush this works.

Tomorrow, I'll revise figure five to show a second speed and send it to you as
a jpg.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://members.aol.com/danmas/