Historical V8 information request

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Historical V8 information request
From: "Andrew R. Lindberg" <andylindberg@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 11:06:12 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <DANMAS@aol.com>
In Michael Cook's 1981 book, "The Triumph Spitfire" (from his chapter on the
GT6), he writes:

"One day at British Leyland's offices, several unbelieving members of the
technical, competition and public relations staff were treated to a ride in
a GT-6-plus which had received the swap treatment.  Resting neatly under the
hood was a stock Buick aluminum V-8, coupled to a Borg-Warner four-speed
transmission.  Twin electric fans were mounted for cooling but the radiator
was stock and no special alterations had to be made for the V-8 to fit.

"Shifting had to be slow and careful as the stock rear end and suspension
were used but the car was a rocket on acceleration at any speed and handled
better as the V-8 was lighter than the normal six."

I've never found any other reference to this factory conversion.

Does anybody out there have any more info on it?  Dare I hope that some of
the lists' English correspondents witnessed its outing also?

Do any pictures, specs or more details still exist?

-- Andy Lindberg (wishing, dreaming, and plotting about my 1970 GT6)