Re: Electric Waterpumps

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Electric Waterpumps
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 22:52:47 GMT
On 17 Mar 1999, Dave Massey wrote:

> 2) How much power does the pump use?

Over the RPM range.

And in particular (see below): How does it respond to a partly closed
thermostat? I've never seen an answer to that.

> So if the pump were driven from an electric
> motor
> what speed would be used?

Or rather: What is required in terms of coolant flow to properly cool the
engine at the max bhp. point? Or at 60 mph steady speed, for instance?

What would the corresponding electric pump power requirement be?

> The Ideal setup would be to use a variable speed electric drive using
> coolant temperature to determine the pump speed.

With modern power control eletronics, that would be quite trivial. And would
completely eliminate the need for a thermostat.

Egil
--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Mail:  Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway