LBCs in HS

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: LBCs in HS
From: rtriplett@bjservices.com
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 08:42:26 -0600
On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Kai Radicke wrote:

> I drove my TR6 to school today, top down of course, and I can't tell you how
> many comments I got today in school...
> Most of the comments were of a "kind" nature, lying in the spectrum between
> "it is so tiny" to "it is so loud" or "what was that cute car you were
> driving?"  And then I had to deal with the teasing from the GreaseMonkey
> crowd... which was ignored in standard fashion.
> I do agree that there isn't much interest in the High School / College crowd
> with these automobiles.  They would rather drive their pimped-out Hondas
> with earthquake inducing stereo systems....

That reminds me of my first exposure to LBCs, back in high school in 1962, a
Latin teacher had the coolest MG-TD.  I learned what a true sports car fanatic
was when I helped him overhaul the engine in his kitchen(he was a bachelor,
obviously).  At that time, I hung out with the GreaseMonkey crowd who thought
flathead Fords were the hottest cars around, so had to keep my LBC involvement
secret.  Anyway, that got me hooked on them, though it took a few years before I
could afford my first TR3 (for $300).  Anyway, I was lucky enough to marry
someone who "put up with" my other love, though she never allowed me to overhaul
an engine in the house!
Richard
60 TR3A
78 1500