Continuing Saga of Brake Rebuild Job on '78 Spitfire

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Continuing Saga of Brake Rebuild Job on '78 Spitfire
From: "Michael L. Coop" <mcoop@amfam.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 09:27:45 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
Listers - I'm really depending upon your expertise to help me solve my brake
problem before I totally lose my mind.  Over the years, I've done dozens of
brake jobs, but you wouldn't believe me judging by the poor results I've
produced on this one.

I've not been able to get pressure in the brake system since installing the
following parts:

New front calipers; New Rear Cylinders; Rebuilt Master (from a reputable
firm); New Braided Stainless Steel Brake Hoses.   I'm using conventional
DOT4 fluid.

The only unusual thing about my brake system is that I've removed the
shuttle from the PDWA because the shuttle assembly and sleeves were not
rebuildable.  (And I don't want to spend $200 for a new PDWA.)

I have bled enough fluid through the system to completely fill two Spitfire
brake systems and can not get more than a little bit of pressure.   The
master cylinder has been properly bench bled.

At first, I thought I had received a bad rebuilt master cylinder.   However,
the vendor was kind enough to send me another one.   Same results.   They
then sent me a third one.  Same results.

Its hard for me to believe that I would get three bad rebuilt master
cylinders from a reputable firm.

Any ideas?

Mike Coop
Michael Coop Agency, Inc.