Re: Oil Pump Priming

To: Brian Ricker <brianr@mvp.net>
Subject: Re: Oil Pump Priming
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 15:39:34 -0500
Cc: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>

<<<<<<<< Original message >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Folks,
        Does anyone have a surefire way to prime the oil pump after a
rebuild? I packed the new pump with vasoline and tried to spin it with the
starter and never saw oil pressure. Does anyone know of a tool to spin the
oilpump driveshaft with a drill (short of notching an old screwdriver)?

Thanks,
Brian

- --
Brian Ricker                    brianr@mvp.net

<<<<<<<< End Original message >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Brian,

If you packed the pump with vasoline and still get no
pressure then something is WRONG!  I installed a new
pump last winter and applied a light layer of assembly
lube and got instant oil pressure.

Either the pump isn't turning or it is sucking air.

Is the camshaft turning?  Is the drive gear in place?

Dave Massey
Kirkwood MO