wiring question

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: wiring question
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 14:57:10 -0700
Listers,

I recently repaired the wires which connect to the starter on my TR6. The
original wires had become excessively "baked" from the exhaust manifold
heat. It got so that if I flexed the wires, the insulation would crack and
the copper strands were exposed. Not a good situation (even though
everything still worked). I peeled back the harness tape and spliced in new
wires (using the correct colors, solder joints etc) and re-wrapped with the
non-adhesive tape.

In an effort to prevent the recurrence of the "baking" I then encased the
wires in the split loom harness wrap found on most modern cars and at most
auto parts stores. When I got back from a drive yesterday I noticed the
split loom wrap had begun to melt from the ex. manifold heat. I guess it is
not meant to withstand the temps around the TR6 starter. Fair enough, I'm
willing to replace it.

The question is, what is a suitable wrap for high temp wiring applications?
Ideally, it would be clear so I can still see the color of the wrapped
wires. But I suppose I'll take anything that'll work. Any ideas greatly
appreciated.

BTW, it might be worthwhile to check your starter wiring for the same
symptoms. I suspect they are all susceptible to this potential problem.
Especially the later TR6 which had a few more wires on the starter than the
early ones (I think).

--- Peter Zaborski  CF58310UO ---