RE: TR3 Compression

To: George Hahn <geohahn@azstarnet.com>
Subject: RE: TR3 Compression
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 09:47:48 -0800
Cc: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Interesting.  I've always heard to check compression with the plugs OUT ...
 In fact, I believe my Chevy manual says to check with the plugs out and
the throttle open.

Anyway, the compression gauge reading varies a fair amount with things not
related to engine condition, like the gauge itself (my Sun gauge has at
least a cc of dead space, which will lower the reading), altitude, etc.
The variation between cylinders is the thing to look at.  IMO 10% from
highest to lowest is about the best you'll see on a stock (non-blueprinted)
engine.  Even 20% probably isn't anything to tear down an engine for.
 Somewhere around 40% I start planning on a rebuild REAL soon <g>

Randall