speedometer reset

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: speedometer reset
From: "Fansher" <fansher@bitstorm.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 07:33:40 -0500
Gary wrote:
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 21:32:20 -0500
From: Gary Klein <gklein@toad.net>
Subject: Odometer Resetting - An Ethical Question??

So here's my question for which I'd like to get your collective
reactions and thoughts:  As it's now about to be reborn, any thoughts
about resetting the odometer back to all zero's?  If it can be done, how
does one do it?  (it wasn't obvious to me when I took it apart and I
guess I don't have a criminal mind)

I'm not interested in any legal aspects here, just the ethics.  I'll
post a summary when all the correspondence is done.

Thanks,

Gary, twenty seven years ago when I first rebuilt the TR3, the speedometer was
broken, I
was sending it to NY to be rebuilt and I turned the numbers back to all zeros.
I'm really
glad I did since I know my total miles since the engine was overhauled and
since I've been
driving the car.  I'm at about 18,000 miles now!  Actually there were alot of
years that
she sat in the garage while awaiting parts and stuff, in the past couple of
years she seen
more action.  Now I'm finishing up a steering rebuild, replaced the brake and
clutch
lines, painted the engine bay, converted to Dot 5 fluid, Apple rebuild on the
carburators,
local rebuild onthe Generator, cleaned up the starter, replaced the old
electric fan with
a new one, new timing chain and tensioner, and timing chain seal ---all because
of a leak
in the timing chain seal  - is this overkill or what.
Sorry about the long reply - reset it and it's easier for you to keep tract of
the miles
you've driven and nobody will really care anyway - it's only if you falsify the
milage
that you're in trouble and you can certify that you don't know the actually
milage if you
have to and by the way you'll probably never sell the car anyway, so go for it.
Tom
1961 TR3A
1962 TR4