RE: TR6/250 Fuel Pump Overhaul

To: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6/250 Fuel Pump Overhaul
From: Stuart Steele <ssteele@switchsolutions.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 12:21:42 -0600
Hello List, and Tom:

Tom Marincic writes:

>           I'm rebuilding my spare AC fuel pump and I've hit a snag.
>           I've got everything apart and clean, and I've got
>   the lower half
>   of the pump body back together with a new diaphragm in place. I'm
>   using a "County" brand rebuild kit I got from TRF about a year ago.
>
>           The problem is getting the two new valves into their bores
>   in the upper body without destroying them. I remember others having
>   trouble with this, and I tried the "valves in the freezer"
>   trick, but it's
>   no
>   good. I can't get the valves started, much less seated. I'm
>   at the point
>   where I usually just use excessive force and the first tool
>   that falls to
>   hand, thereby breaking something. Anyone have a better idea?

I have just done this on my car's AC fuel pump, with a kit I purchased
perhaps a month a go from TRF, so I am assuming that it is the same.  I
installed these valves by tapping them in with hammer, using a piece of
thin-wall tubing with an outside diameter slightly less than the valve,
and an inside diameter somewhat greater than the extent of the
three-pointed start-shaped carrier in the middle of the valve.  The
valves did not start cleanly, but rather, went in slightly cocked at
first.  However, they bottomed out and seated themselves fine in the
bore when all was said and done.

Stuart Steele