Re: Wheel Cylinder Fitting kit

To: Ct54531@aol.com
Subject: Re: Wheel Cylinder Fitting kit
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 14:36:35 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
On Sat, 27 Mar 1999 Ct54531@aol.com wrote:

> Is there a set or preferred procedure or a fixed sequence for putting on the
> flanges and dust cover when reinstalling the rear wheel cylinders. The car is
> a 65 4A - live axle.
> Thanks.

The factory workshop manual isn't much help here: "Re-assemble the brake
components by reversing the removal procedure." Great. :-)

I've usually started the bottom one (whose open end should face away from
the cable end of the handbrake lever) and then started the top one (faces
the opposite direction, of course), then pushed each towards "home" with
screwdrivers. It might take some gentle tapping to finally seat them, but
it's not too difficult. Presumably you've lubricated the sliding surfaces
first with a white lithium or other similar grease, since the cylinder
MUST be free to slide.

Then fit the dust cover. Don't be like yours truly, who over the years
has probably connected at least three or four steel brake pipes or hoses
(depending on model) before realizing that the dust cover really should
have gone on first! :-(

--Andy