[BOUNCE triumphs@Autox.Team.Net: Non-member submission from [aribert

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [BOUNCE triumphs@Autox.Team.Net: Non-member submission from [aribert neumann <aribert@c3net.net>]]
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 00:06:47 -0700 (MST)

     Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 11:24:04 -0500
     From: aribert neumann <aribert@c3net.net>
     Subject: Adding an oil cooler to a GT-6 (w/ 2.5L)

I am sending this from home because the outgoing e-mail system at work
was down again all day (was able to read postings all day long),
hopefully this will post.

Car background:  GT-6 upgraded to a 2.5L TR-6 engine.   Radiator was
upgraded at the same time from a 96 tube 3-row core to a 160 tube 5-row
core.  Water temp was good at road speed but marginal in stop and go
traffic.  I added an auxiliary electric fan after boiling over the
radiator for the first time (never overheated my previous LBCs:Spit,
TR-6 & MGB) and now the water temp is acceptable in stop and go
traffic.  My oil pressure at idle when the engine is cold is 80+ psi.
after running the car, the idle oil pressure is 15 psi (approx 60 psi at
road speed).  This is irrespective of whether I have been driving in
stop and go traffic or just exited the freeway and stopped at a light.
I have used various motor oils: 10w40, 20w50 and a blend of
20w50/straight 40w.  Ambient air temps from 30 to 90 deg F effect eh oil
pressure by 5 psi max.  Engine has approx 10,000 miles on a complete
rebuild.

I am assuming that the oil is thinning down due to excessive temps.
THerefore I plan on adding an oil cooler.  THe factory placed the oil
cooler in front of the radiator.  Would this placement not defeat my
purpose?  The warmed air exiting the oil cooler would be less able to
cool the water in the radiator.  THe alternative is to place a smaller
oil cooler adjacent to the left side of the radiator.  Suggestions
please.

Further questions, in a recent thread, Kelly Alford mentioned that
adding a spin on filter made the oil pressure more consistent between
hot idle and cruise.  Have others noticed this also?  Anyone out there
added a spin on adapter to a GT-6? Does it have ports for oil cooler
hoses?  Where did you buy the adapter?

Thanks in advance.