Canada currency exchange

To: "Triumph List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Canada currency exchange
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 12:53:27 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Listers,

Having just returned from a long (very inexpensive) weekend in Canada, I
heartily recommend charging onto your credit card versus paying in US
dollars, at least for the big items.  Most local establishments use
significantly less advantageous exchange rates than Visa or MasterCard.  The
current exchange rate is great for us heading north, but don't throw away
some of your savings to unscrupulous vendors.

The rate is currently about $1.52 USD to $1 Can.  Most local (non-bank)
establishments gave 40% or $1.40 USD, one was as low as $1.20 to one.  We
used less than $50 in cash, so it wasn't a big deal, but I saw someone peel
off more than a few hundred dollars, at a rate of $1.40.

BTW - All charge cards charge you a small transaction fee (1% or so or a
fixed fee) to convert the foreign currency to US dollars.  I believe Diners
Club charges the least, but check with your various cards to see how they
charge you for the exchanges.

Jack (wishing he could do the Nova Scotia tour after VTR) Brooks
TS69032L
Hillsdale, NJ
My car show: http://pages.hotbot.com/family/triumph