Re: Smoky TR6 (relief valve & high press. #s)

To: Cameron Greig <cameron@enterprise.net>
Subject: Re: Smoky TR6 (relief valve & high press. #s)
From: levilevi@home.com
Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 09:39:43 -0600
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi Cameron,

Hard to listen to someone who can't even figure out which is your first
and which is your last name huh?  Sorry about that.  I was thinking it
was kinda a cool way to spell Greg.  Anyhow here's some more thoughts on
high oil pressure numbers and smoke.

Cameron Greig wrote:

 the head was rebuilt 4000 miles ago with new guides and valves so if
this is the cause I will not be happy!!

>mechanic to redo the head or give you a break on redoing it...of course then
>you have to decide if you want the same person to redo it if the first try
>didn't take. I'd be curious to know what they find was the problem if you have
>to revisit the head.

the cylinder head has its own oil supply and the car runs with high
pressure(100lb cold never drops below 70)

>when it's cold on start-up, cruises at 65-70 when warm and sits at 45 when
>idling warm.

I must get hold of another gauge to see if the original gauge is right
or if my pressure return valve is out of adjustment.

>it to make sure there's no kinks or sudden bends).  My Bentley says on page
>147 under oil circulation: "Oil drawn from the engine sump by a rotor type
>pump is delivered via a NON-ADJUSTABLE pressure relief valve to a full flow
>type oil filter."

>because I thought the cold start pressure was too high but then I found the
>above tidbit and decided I just had to live with it (I'd rather have that
>problem than low oil pressure).

>because the only other thing I can think of is that there might be some
>stoppage (clogged filter, dirt/debris in the press. relief valve spring, etc.)
>in oil circulation somewhere that is causing both the high oil pressure
>numbers and the blowby that you're apparently getting on cold starts.  The two
>may be related.  I'm don't know if that makes sense in a closed system but
>it'd be a good idea to ask the list re: stoppage possibilities and if that
>could cause both symptoms.

Good Luck

Bud
71TR6 CC57365