RE: Transmission fluid

To: "'Karl F. Rau'" <krau@ns.pivot.net>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Transmission fluid
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 09:19:33 -0700
Karl :

For non-OD, 90 weight GL4 (not GL5) should be perfectly adequate.  A GL4
synthetic like Redline's MTL would be even better.  (In theory,
conventional GL5 gear oils contain a high sulfur additive that can damage
brass bushings, thrust washers and synchro rings in a transmission.
 However, I have yet to find anyone that has had this happen on a TR driven
on the street.)

If you have OD, you should probably use Laycock's recommendation of 30 or
50 weight (depending on climate) motor oil, preferably low detergent (like
Valvoline Racing oil), and change it regularly.  Valvoline Racing 20W50
works well, too.  Redline recommended their MTL, but I don't know of anyone
that's tried it.

Note : because of the different way they are measured, 90 weight gear oil
is roughly as thick as 40 weight motor oil.

Randall