TR3 Blown Head Gasket Update

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 Blown Head Gasket Update
From: "Robert Van and Ann Cross" <vancross@visuallink.com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 19:06:25 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Thanks to George, Bob, and Jeff for your insight and experience with a blown
head gasket.  I pulled the head today (came out w/o much difficulty) and
started my inspection.  All piston tops had a light coating of carbon except
#2.  Its top looked like it went through the dishwasher (sparkling clean).
I knew this was where to problem occurred since I had the colortune in this
cylinder and saw no plug firing.  Anyway, I checked the block and head very
closely and found no evidence of a crack, anywhere.  The gasket had a small
burr (@1/16 to 1/8" long) which would have been sealing around #2 cylinder.
It didn't look like much to this untrained eye.  The cylinder studs look
good, all had the same torque feel when I loosened them.  I really can't
tell about a warped head but is this still something that could be a
possibility?  Anyway  I think that the gasket failed at the spot with the
burr.  Is there a need to do further checking?

Thanks Again for the Help'
Bob Van  1960 TR3