Re: Relay question

To: Brian Furgalus <triumph.tr7@usa.net>
Subject: Re: Relay question
From: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 14:02:26 +0200
Cc: 1-TR8-list <tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
Brian,
I don't have the TR8 handy and accessible for the moment, but I
took a standard car relay off the shelf in the garage and took
some measurements off of it... I hope they will give You the know-
ledge needed.    BTW, what's an Allen Bradley switch?

Brian Furgalus wrote:
> I have a question.
> Do any of you electrical gurus have any info on how much current
> the actuator coils on the relays behind the glovebox carry?

The coil of this plain standard relay took a short burst of initial
energy upon engagement, current was like 18-21 mA for a _very_ brief
period [we're talking milliseconds here - I didn't take the time to
hook up the oscilloscope to get the exact time, sorry.] and then the
current flowing through the coil in engaged state was less than 1-2
mA. So I'm sure Your equipment will be able to handle lots of these
relays in simultaneous and parallel operation.

> I'm wiring in an interim Allen Bradley switch that will emulate
> the logic of the ignition switch perfectly, but I'm a bit con-
> cerned as the rating is only .5 AMPS.
> In my experience, the coils shouldn't draw that, but you never can
> tell with Lucas!
> Thanks,
> -Brian

You're welcome.
/Odd

--
Odd Hedberg
Pomonagatan 4           International liaison secretary,