More TR6 diff ?'s "pinion bearing pre-load"

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: More TR6 diff ?'s "pinion bearing pre-load"
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 21:09:51 -0700
OK, now I'm noticing that in the Bentley manual on page 346 at the bottom,
item 29 reads as follows:

"Carefully tighten the castellated nut checking the pinion bearing
pre-load.  Shim the bearing spacer as necessary to obtain a pinion torque
of 15 to 18 lbf in when the castellated nut is tight to a torque loading of
90 to 120 lbf in."

Question 1.)  How do I check the "pinion bearing pre-load?"

(or is this really critical?  Should I just torque the nut to spec (INCH
pounds, not FOOT pounds, thank you very much!) and forget about it?

Question 2.)  Having learned my lesson with the pinion flange nut
controversy, now I find I'm second-guessing the torque specs for the side
flange nuts.  Again, the Bentley manual shows 90 to 120 lbf.ft  (notice
that's FOOT pounds) However, page 339, (sec. 51.10.02) simply says:

"Fit the plain washer and the nyloc nut to the shaft.  Tighten the nut."

Notice there's no torque spec given.  Hmmm.

NOW what do I do??

Pete "Quickly losing faith in the Bentley manual" Chadwell
1973 TR6