Re: Soft Tops

To: KVacek@sprynet.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Soft Tops
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 15:47:00 EDT
In a message dated 06-May-99 10:44:12 Eastern Daylight Time,
KVacek@Sprynet.com writes:

> What's the best quality/fit top for a TR-4A ??  When the cars were new, AMCO
>  made great tops, tonneaus, luggage racks, etc., but I haven't bought
>  anything form them for decades -- is AMCO still good?  Is there a better
>  supplier?  I'm looking for an original-style Naugahyde (vinyl) top - not
>  canvas (like Haartz cloth, etc.).

Karl, I bought a new Robbins top for my TR4 (the top is a little different
from the TR4A) from TRF in '94.  Excellent fit and exactly like the OEM top.
(The one I had on the car was an original Triumph top so I could make a good
comparison.)  No problems at all since then.

>  What about rear windows?  Is there anything new, or is this still the weak
>  link in the whole deal?  With all the space-age materials available, it
>  seems like there should be something that stays clear and doesn't scratch
so
>  easily !!

I have had three tops (two from Triumph and one from Robbins) on my car and
never had a problem with clouding or scratching.  BUT that means that you
must be careful when stowing and/or cleaning them.  There are also a few
tricks to cleaning.

>  Do most tops have zippered rear windows, or do they eliminate that on some
>  brands?

Neither the TR4 or TR4A had zippered windows from the factory.

BTW I even ordered a tan (original color) inside on the Robbins rather than
the black color.  In addition to it being the original color it is brighter
inside on rainy days.  The tan color meant that it took a little longer for
delivery but it cost me no more.  If you get a Robbins let me know before you
install it.   I have some suggestions on that.  FWIW.  Cheers.

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L (original owner)