Distributor (parts) needed for TR-4A

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Distributor (parts) needed for TR-4A
From: r-james@tamu.edu
Date: Fri, 7 May 99 08:13:01
I have a serious miss which has been present more or less
ever since I started this car for the first time (after
a 10-yr stay in a junkyard).

I have about concluded it is due to a very loose baseplate
in the distributor.  There is (was) some sort of spring clamp
that held the points plate (which rotates to advance the timing)
down on the fixed base plate, and that spring clamp has broken.

I don't know if the spring clamp can be replaced or if I need
a new points-plate, with spring clamp, or points-plate+base plate
assembly...or a new distributor.

If you have any of the following available for sale or swap, please
advise off list:

(for 1967 TR-4A; my 25D4(?) distributor is stamped with Lucas P/N 40795,
--I think this is the same as on most TR-4's and all TR-4A's)

the points plate with spring
the points plate/spring clamp/base plate as an assembly
an entire distributor, servicable or with above parts in good condition

Or, I am considering one of the $200 Mallory dual points distributors;
and any advice regarding this application from someone who has installed
one in a TR-4/4A would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Ray James;  r-james@tamu.edu

Ray W. James, P.E., Ph.D.