RE: spring compressor dimensions?

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: spring compressor dimensions?
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 10:45:15 -0700
Skip :

For my TR3, I use a 24" length of 3/4" threaded rod, with three nuts.  At
the top is a single nut, with an ordinary 3/4" washer beneath it.  At the
bottom is a round plate that is probably 1/8" thick (made from the
generator pulley half off a VW), and two nuts tightened together.  I use an
impact wrench on the bottom nuts to turn the rod into the top nut, held
with a box end wrench.   My bottom plate is probably 5" in diameter
(drilled to fit over the shock mount bolts), but 3 1/2" - 4" (to fit inside
the bolts) would probably do fine.  One source might be a 1/2" or 3/4"
"floor flange" from the plumbing dept., or you might be able to stack up
fender washers in graduated sizes.

IMO this setup is stabler and safer than a commercial spring compressor, as
there is absolutely no way it can slip off.  Strength appears to be
considerably more than adequate.

I once helped a friend do the springs on his Buick with a commercial
internal spring compressor.  I'm lucky to still have all my fingers !
 D**ned thing slipped off the coils just as I was picking up the spring off
the driveway, and shot the compressor clear into the yard !

Randall