Rusted Sleeve on a TR6

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rusted Sleeve on a TR6
From: canada <canada@voyageronline.net>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 22:28:16 -0700
Hello again, Listers--

This is more in the category of basic mechanical skills, which aren't to
be found at my house.

I'm replacing the rubber diff mounts on my 76 TR6, which have gotten
pretty sponge-like over the years.  The rear mounts are on metal sleeves
which fit over studs mounted to the chassis.  You guessed it--one of the
sleeves is rusted solid to the stud.  This is in a VERY awkward spot, up
under the deck that the gas tank sits on.  It is complicated by the fact
that I'm trying to do this job on jackstands without removing the
exhaust system (as Bentley's recommends) and it looked like I might just
get away with it.  I ripped all the rubber off, so only the sleeve
remains.  I can just get a set of vice grips on the sleeve, but it's not
going anywhere as long as it's rusted to the stud.  I am thinking about
finding a tall medicine tube that will just fit over the stud and sleeve
and filling it with either penetrating oil or phosphoric acid, then
duct-taping it to the underside of the car.  The rusted sleeve would be
bathed in either oil or acid overnight and MIGHT let go.

Anyone have any better ideas or favorite home remedies for a problem
like this?  (I considered heating it with a torch, but it's immediately
below the gas tank.)  Any thoughts on my approach?

Thanks in advance,

Ian CF57345U