'74 TR6 coil connections

To: TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
Subject: '74 TR6 coil connections
From: Tim Gaines <mtgaines@cs1.presby.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 16:44:46 -0500
To Dan Masters or anyone else who can help me with a wiring problem:

I have a question about wiring on a '74 TR6 for you.  My Haynes manual,
which came with the car when I bought it in October, does not have
a wiring diagram which matches my car.  The previous owner has
made a number of changes associated with the ignition system.  First,
he bypassed the original ignition switch which was torn up but still
mounted on the steering column.  I have removed the original one and
the replacement the DPO put on and have installed a new correct one.
But the DPO also bypassed the fat white/red wire from the ignition
switch with a shunt to the relay? under the bonnet on the left.  From
experience with my Spit I suspect that the fat wire is the coil ballast
resistor.  He also installed a HUGE coil which has its own ballast
resister alongside.  Two wires connect to the ballast resistor from the
harness; a brown one and a white/yellow one.  I suspect that normally
the white/yellow one would carry the reduced voltage from the resistor
wire during running and that the brown one would carry full voltage only
at startup.  I have ordered a new coil and plan to use it with the
original ballast resistor wire in place.  My problem is that the white/
yellow wire has been cut right next the two relays under the bonnet
and I can't tell where it should connect.  I think I could figure it
out if pressed to do so, but I would feel much better if someone could
tell me for sure.  I checked a buddy's '76 TR6 but the wires to his
relays are a little different and there is no white/yellow one.  Thanks
for any help you can provide.  If I'm off base here I'd sure like to
find out before I do something stupid!

Tim Gaines
1980 Spitfire
1974 TR6