Re: Protecting your hands (no direct LBC content)

To: Skip Montanaro <skip@mojam.com>
Subject: Re: Protecting your hands (no direct LBC content)
From: Mike Mason <mmason@lindenwood.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 21:44:55 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

I have been using surgical type gloves lately, since I often have to run
into the house to save grandma from the wild baby child.  It is wonderful
to be able to flip them off and go do something else, rather than explain
to my lovely wife that I will be right there....in twenty minutes.

I have discovered that there are several types of latex gloves.  I got a
bunch of real surgical gloves when my wife gave birth.  The nurse let me
borrow some from the supply while I was waiting around.  (A word of
caution: when your wife is in the middle of labor she will probably lose
all sense of humor and making funny things out of rubber gloves will not
be appreciated!)  The hospital ones worked pretty well...good feel and
didn't tear very easily.

I've gotten several other kind from discount outlets and grocery stores.
Most of them are pretty near worthless.  You get a box of a hundred, but
tear three every time you try to put one on.

The best ones I found, and the salesperson had to look around for ten
minutes, ("I know we have some around here somewhere...Hey Harry, didn't
we have some of those rubber gloves on one of these shelves?) were the
ones I got at the local auto parts store.  They say "tear resistant" or
some such on the package and they really do hold up quite well.  With a
can of powder around, I can use them several times, if I have to leave a
job and come back to it.

The down side, of course, is that you can't brag about the grease under
your fingers.  ;-)   But if you are driving your LBC to work, you will
probably have grease on you somewhere anyway.

JMHO

Michael

     Somewhat clean hands in St. Louis, or thereabouts