RE: Mandatory TR6 diff rebuild?

To: "Triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Mandatory TR6 diff rebuild?
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 18:59:20 -0700
Pete :

Something is wrong with the advice you got from TRF.  Even if you just put
the nut back on finger tight, you'll drive for a long time before hurting
anything.  Plus, Moss lists the R&P in their April 99 catalog, so new ones
were available at least last month.
The only thing I can think of that would cause damage "backing out of the
driveway" is trying to set the preload to 85 ft-lb, and even then only the
bearings will fail.  You should notice the problem long before the R&P are
damaged.

Randall

On Thursday, May 13, 1999 3:43 PM, Pete & Aprille Chadwell
[SMTP:dynamic@transport.com] wrote:

> Hi gang.
>
> Not done with the differential questions yet.  Earlier today I talked on
> the phone with tech support at TRF, spoke to Dave.  I was asking him
about
> my little
> quandary regarding the pinion nut torque and preload and how I should put
> it back together.  Well, according to Dave, the only GOOD option I have
at
> this point is to rebuild the whole thing.  Here's what he told me, and
you
> all can interject your own contrary opinions, if any, as you see fit:
> First of all, and most importantly, he says there's no such thing as a
new
> crownwheel & pinion.  They aren't made.  Not available.  Therefore
risking
> damage to a currently intact crownwheel and pinion is not advisable.  His
> suggestion is that whether I torque the nut to the torque specified in
the
> Bentley manual, (90 to 120 foot-pounds) or whether I put it back near as
> can to where it was before I removed the locking wire and nut, I run a
> significant chance of severely shortening the life of the diff.  By
> severely, I mean that-in his words-the diff may very well come apart "as
> back out of the driveway."  He says I would run that risk EVEN IF I had
> carefully marked the nut and pinion PRIOR to removing the nut, and then
> later returned the nut to its previous position.
>
> Then I called BPNW, and Leighton there said that all their rebuilt diffs
> come with NEW ring & pinions.  That's exactly OPPOSITE of what understood
> TRF was telling me.
>
> Please give me some more input here... I found it very hard to believe
that
> the ring & pinions are not available new, yet that's what I understood
Dave