Re: TR6 O/D question

To: joemato@ibm.net
Subject: Re: TR6 O/D question
From: Tony Gordon <tgordon@saginaw-city.k12.mi.us>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 21:37:05 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Joe,

The person I dealt with seemed to have many gearboxes with A- and J-type
O/Ds, although they all seem to come from Triumph 2000/2.5 saloons.  The
A-type I have looks very good inside and out.  His name is Chris Gibbard,
and you can reach him at home on 011-44-1302-868450. He is not a dealer,
just an enthusiast.  If you're planning you UK travels, he is located just
outside of Doncaster (put that into www.streetmap.co.uk and you'll see
where it is).  The UK is +5 EST.

I also received a lot of very helpful emails about the saloon v's the TR6
box from the list, and can give you copies of those emails if you get that
far (the main diff being the smaller dia input shaft (which entails using
the saloon driven plate, and a diff. release bearing carrier and bearing)
and first gear is a slightly lower ratio.  There are some diffs with the
O/D in terms of set up and detents as well, but apparently they can be
dealt with by servicing with TR6 parts.

Unfortunately, you will not be able to transport the box as hold luggage
(as I had hoped) - it is too heavy (with the selector assbly - it is 47
Kgs; without that and without all drive and electrical connections, it is
41 Kgs).  I ended up going with a shipping agent and got sort of
screwed/messed about because I hadn't set up the customs clearance at this
end before I shipped (shipping is cheap - about $130, but they get you on
the clearance at this end for another $100).  Now I am older and wiser, I
would do it a bit differently.  If you get as far as buying, let me know
and I'll fill you on the boring details of how I might do it next time.

In the end, it is still a lot cheaper than any option I'd seen in the US,
and the total with purchase and shipping ended up at $375 (and I have all
the solenoids, relays, switches, angled drives all thrown in - well, they
were still attached so it was sort of easy to get them anyway).

Good luck,

Tony Gordon

(ps - put plenty of cardboard on the trunk/boot floor - my brand new rental
(only 5 miles on the clock) was still pretty much unmarked after trucking
the g/box around for a couple of days: the cardboard was, however, very
much worse for wear.)

>Hi,I'm going to the UK this week and would like to pick an A type OD for
>a TR-3.Anyone know some reliable dealer over
>there?
>Thanks,Joe Mato

   Anthony Gordon                       Technology Education Coordinator
   Saginaw Public Schools               tel: 1-517-797-4855
   ISDC, 1505 Ottawa Blvd               fax: 1-571-797-4778
   Saginaw, MI 48602, USA               email: tgordon@saginaw-city.k12.mi.us