Brake Problems (update)

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake Problems (update)
From: David Brackin <dbrackin@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 22:00:29 -0400
Thanks for all the great suggestions I received regarding the front
brakes sticking on the TR250.  I bled all around and found nothing
enexpected.  Pushed the pistons in on both front calipers found none
stuck.  However, everytime I pumped the pedal a few times the front
rotors were harder than normal to turn (by hand) until I pushed the
pistons (in the calipers) out a bit.

Pulled the master cylinder and found tiny red 'crystals' of something in
the bottom of the fluid reservoir and in the inlet to the tipping
valve.  But, the master cylinder plungers move very easily (Apple
Hydraulics bronze sleeve) and the tipping valve moves freely also.

One kind lister mentioned that there might be a problem with the servo
adjustment, which would not allow the tipping valve to open compleatly
when the pedal is released.  After removing the plastic reservoir the
tipping valve was clearly visible and sure enough when I held the master
cylinder in position on the servo I noticed the tipping valve moved
slightly.  I'm not sure how much if any movement is allowable.  But I
can easily adjust the servo til all movement is removed, maybe even add
a touch of clearance between the servo rod and the rear seat of the
master cylinder plunger..

Given these new findings if anyone has any additional advice it would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dave Brackin
TR250 - Up on jack stands
'57 TR3 - boxes to the left of me, boxes to the right...