RE: International drivers license

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: International drivers license
From: J Thomas Rippel <JTRippel@CSI.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 16:18:42 -0700
I have followed the discussion about international drivers license and would
like to verify my understanding.

I did drive in foreign countries, both rental and private cars. (never Japan -
no way)
I was told by fellow employees that using the international license was a waste
of money.
We could not put it on our expense account.

However one fellow employee from a European subsidiary stated that using an
International license protected or buffered my American License. He implied
that some countries could pull your license at the scene of the accident.

If I was in an accident - and my international license was pulled I could
always come home to America and still have my state drivers license.

That fact in itself made the fee paid to AAA worth the cost.
Thankfully I never needed it as a buffer.

Can any one clarify if it really does protect our stateside license or was this
misinformation?