Re: First long ride of the year : )

To: HMENTZEN@aol.com
Subject: Re: First long ride of the year : )
From: Brian Johnson <b.johnson@diamond.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 20:12:37 +0100
Cc: David Greed <greed@wave.co.nz>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Hans

I had a similar experience with a very quiet squeal. I could hear it
when driving alongside buildings below 40 m.p.h.  It was due to the fact
that the brake pads were about 1/32nd of an inch too large, and when
they wore down a little, a small ridge was left which rubbed against the
disk (rotor) it took me ages to find this out as I thought that my wheel
bearings were on their way out.    I was actually using a set from a TR6
so I suppose it served me right (the locating holes were smaller and I
had to drill them out)  I use Mintex TR4 pads now as suggested by Moss's
and they are OK. I think that disk sizes changed at some point between
TR3 and TR6.
However I now have a rattle on my Cavalier, that goes away when I press
the brake pedal....

Cheers
Brian Johnson  (UK)
1963  TR4   AFP 503A (UK) / IZS 733(USA) - CT27216-L (now not L but O )
1954  TR2   46 BHX                         TS554-O   UK Car in pieces
1989  Vauxhall Cavalier 2.0 GLI   - Eurobox  but it goes !
Internet b.johnson@lycosmail.com
New website http://websites.diamond.co.uk/~b.johnson/index.htm