TR4 Comes Back to Life Tonight!!!!!!

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 Comes Back to Life Tonight!!!!!!
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 21:42:55 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Well... all you crazy TR lovers.....

Tonight.... my TR4 is a car again with a living and breathing engine.  IT
FEELS WONDERFUL!!!

I installed the engine in the car last Saturday with the help of 2 local
Massachusetts TR nuts.... Barry Fox and Craig Della Penna.  We were a real
great team.   Sunday,  I started the "hook everything up" routine but got
strangely exhausted by the end of the afternoon.  So I quit.... not wanting
to make a serious mistake.

By that night and all night I was hugging the bowl for all my life not
knowing whether living or dying was the better alternative.   I was a
washed out rag.... good for nothing but sleep and moaning.... until
Wednesday night.  A real bummer...  I couldn't muster an ounce of interest
in the car.... that says a lot based on the hours I have put into this car
since taking it off the road in mid October.

Last night I fell into a trap you all must know about.  I tried to hook up
my gas line to my reassembled fuel pump.  Well I must have spilled a 1/2
gallon of gas.  What a dumb system to not have a fuel shutoff somewhere...
or at least I could not find one.  I should have gotten the hint, back in
the Fall, when I had to put 5/16 drill bit into the hose to remove the
pump.

While the fuel pump was apart in a plastic bag the cork gasket on the
sediment bowel dried out and was absolutely porous.  Gasoline everywhere. I
cut a new cork gasket out of sheet cork and it sealed up tight.

Tonight I made up a new rubber connector with a fuel shutoff valve
inline.... the kind you have on your lawn tractor or snow blower.   That
worked fine.  Then just when I thought I was cool.... cranking over the
engine.... I smell gas again.   Well this time the dummy never re-hooked up
the outlet pipe from the fuel pump... DAH.

I then double checked everything and choked the carbs and cranked.   Bingo
the engine came to life in after about 10-15 secs of cranking... what a
feeling.   And purring like a smooth kitten to boot.

Life is good.  I could not have done this without the generous help of all
you folks.  Thanks

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4          CT16260L  - Groton,  MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site