RE: Lugging An Engine

To: "'Rob Christopher'" <robc@cisco.com>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Lugging An Engine
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 10:54:06 -0700
'Understeer' is a tendency to go in a straight line instead of where the
front wheels are pointed (also known as 'push').  'Oversteer' is the
opposite, the tendency to turn tighter into a corner.  Some cars will
exhibit both under different circumstances.  (For example, suddenly closing
the throttle during a turn will frequently induce oversteer.)

In general, adding roll stiffness (eg a sway bar) to the front will
increase understeer or reduce oversteer, adding roll stiffness to the rear
will increase oversteer or reduce understeer.  Wheel alignment also has an
effect.

Again in general, oversteer is considered worse than understeer, mostly
because in the extreme case it results in a spin-out.  It also seems that
most people's natural reactions deal better with understeer.  However many
autocrossers like a little oversteer, because it makes the car easier to
turn quickly.
My personal preference for the street is as neutral as possible, and sway
bars at both ends.
YMMV

Randall