TR3 Overheating

To: <SMTP:AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Subject: TR3 Overheating
From: "Sumner Weisman" <sweisman@gis.net>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 09:33:20 -0400
Cc: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Adrian,

I will probably get flamed for this statement, but after owning 3 LBCs, my
experience has been that all British cars overhear at some time.  I had the
same scary experience that you did, where my TR3 overheated so badly once or
twice that I was afraid of permanent engine damage.  (There wasn't any as
far as I could tell!)

There have been many cooling tricks discussed in the past.  Some people put
in a 4-bladed fan (from a TR4?) instead of the 3-blade TR3 fan.  Some people
use "water wetter", sold by the big 3.  My solution was to add an electric
fan and adjustable thermostat.  Who cares about authenticity -- my car is a
great driver but will never be concourse quality!  The fan is mounted to the
front of the radiator as a pusher, and the original fan was left in place.
The thermostat was adjusted so that the electric fan never comes on unless
the water temperature exceeds the center position, 185 degrees F.  It only
turns on in hot weather, or in heavy traffic.

Adrian, this totally solved the problem.  It's as if the meter needle is
painted on -- it goes to 185 and just stays there.  I'm happy.

There have been some long threads on overheating on this list.  It's a very
controversial subject.  I have no desire to restart the controversy,
especially since I'm going to be away from the computer for a week.

By the way,  my car also only keeps water that is below about 1/4 or 3/8
inch from the bottom of the radiator neck.  Anything over that is boiled off
through the 4 psi radiator cap.

Sumner Weisman
62 TR3B  (Out every weekend now that the weather is good)