TR3 overheating probs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 overheating probs
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 07:03:35 EDT
with moderate traffic,stopping at traffic lights and such, it actually went
into the red zone until I could get to the open road.  Needless to say I was
very worried about doing some horrendous damage.The question is: is this sort
of normal for a TR3 ? BTW, no matter how much coolant I put in, whenever I
check  the level after a run, it has always dropped to 1/4" from the bottom
of the "longneck".
Adrian,
After trying to get my hot running engine to run cooler ('64 TR4) by adding
more and more straight coolant I read somewhere that the coolant/water ratio
should be no more than 50c/50w and more like 30c/70w or 40c/60w. I proceeded
to flush out sytem with radiator cleaner and put in 30c/70w and the
temperature dropped approx. 7 degrees in general driving conditions! I also
bought a bottle of 'WaterWetter' from auto store that creates better heat
transfer for about $8 but didn't need it afterall. My water level regulates
itself also to about 1/4" below filler neck probably due to heat expansion &
return process.
Good luck,
Carl
'64 TR4 since '74