balky starter on GT6

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: balky starter on GT6
From: "Greg Adams" <greg@cmc.net>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 06:56:27 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Usually I just lurk, BUT.....

I have a 68 (or so) spit6, with 6 into 1 headers which are routed between
the engine and the inside frame rail.  They run so close to the starter that
one of the tubes actually has an (intentional) dent in it to clearance the
bearing cap on the end of the starter.  The starter doesn't crank very fast
when the engine is cold, but fast enough to start the engine.  When the
engine is hot, it doesn't crank fast enough to start the engine at all.

Also, if what I've been told is true, this engine has a shaved head and the
compression ratio is somewhere in the neighborhood of 10.5:1 or 11:1.

I've been told that Toyota starters are sometimes used as a high performance
replacements in situations like this, and I have a Toyota starter, so I am
curious if anyone knows how this is done, if it's even true.

Has anyone had a similar trouble, and come up with a workable solution?

TIA, Greg Adams