TR3 Wiring Harness Hold-Down Clamps

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 Wiring Harness Hold-Down Clamps
From: rtriplett@bjservices.com
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 08:45:46 -0500
Cc: moag@ix.netcom.com
>From: "David Moag" <>
>Hello Listers,
>
>Well I've finally started getting into the wiring of my TR3B. Actually it
>hasn't been too bad (so far), but you can expect a fair number of questions
>over the next week or so, especially since I'll be incorporating some
>non-original accessories. Here goes the first one.
>
>I had new floor boards and a trunk floor put in, but they don't have those
>nice rubber coated little clamps that are welded in along the way to hold
>down the wiring harness as it travels to the rear. Since I don't do welding
>(although the cost of the above has convinced me I had better start before
>doing anything like this much work to another car!), does anyone have a
>suggestion for a good alternative? What kind of clamp or clip to use? What
>to attach it with? The ones in the engine bay are largely intact, so I'm
>mainly concerned with ones that are pretty much out of sight --- but I sure
>wouldn't mind coming up with something that looked somewhat correct while
>I'm at it.

David, my new floor panels came with welded-on uninsulated wire clamps, so I put
heat shrink tubing over the clamps to avoid damaging the insulation.  Since
yours didn't come with the clamps, you can purchase insulated metal clamps for
that purpose, usually available at a wholesale electronics supplier.  The ones I
would recommend are a low profile sort of "half clamp".  In other words, they
don't completely surround the wiring harness, but rather hold the wires against
the panel. Unfortunately, you have to drill a screw mounting hole.  If you
prefer not to drill a hole, there are nylon hold-downs available that have an
adhesive backing and are used with a cable tie to secure the harness.
Unfortunately also, they don't last long in damp enviornments, so you must keep
them dry.   They are also available at most electronics supply houses, and maybe
even Radio Shack carries them.  The above mentioned metal "half clamps" are also
available in nylon but still require holes.
Richard