Re: Datsun 510 Wagon Springs in a TR6

To: Kurt <koblinger@linkline.com>
Subject: Re: Datsun 510 Wagon Springs in a TR6
From: levilevi@home.com
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 00:31:43 -0600
Cc: lee.k.janssen@lmco.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Kurt,

As Ed McMahon used to say "You are CORRECT sir!"

I looked in my old 68-76 manual for 510, 610 and 710 and it confirms
exactly what you said.  I had a 1972 510 wagon and I could have sworn it
was IRS (and have probably claimed it was to Lee Janssen) but after
looking at the book I realize how flawed my memory is.  I have the
article that spurred the search for the 510 springs and they erroneously
refer to the springs as being from a wagon...makes it hard to find them
when they don't exist.  Some guy from Wisconsin bought that wagon from
me at 10:30 at night on his way through town, gave me cash and was
driving it home by 11:00. He said he and other racers like them because
of the dual point ignitions, but I think they were also just great
little machines.

The pictures in the manual show a semi trailing arm independent rear
suspension (sedans and hardtops) that looks amazingly like the rear
suspension of the TR6 except that it uses tube shocks.  I mean it looks
like you could weld a TR6's frame members right to that Datsun rear
suspension.

This might support some of Keith Ehrlich's recent research which favored
tubes over levers for handling since the 510s sedans were famous for
their handling.  Of course they had McPherson struts on the front which
helped too.

Bud
71TR6 CC57365
71TR6 CC65446