Re: Rover TC2000 in Watsonville wrecking yard

To: CaptGonzo@aol.com
Subject: Re: Rover TC2000 in Watsonville wrecking yard
From: David Hill <davhill@cwcom.net>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 21:27:30 +0100
Cc: max0705@bellsouth.net, triumphs@autox.team.net

CaptGonzo@aol.com wrote:

> A Rover 2000TC is a 4 door sedan of balanced proportions. It has a fairly
> modern independent suspension and a 2L SOHC engine with twin carbs. A very
> sharp sports sedan. I think it's a variety of the Rover P6 family.

Yes, it is a P6 and the suspension/body were really radical. The main
unit-called the hull- had bolt-on exterior panels. The front suspension
used bellcranks and horizontally-mounted spring units which pressed
against (and sometimaes came through) the bulkhead. At the rear, the
independent axle incorporated a DeDion tube.

> You would get huge Brit-car guy points for owning one or transplanting it's
> engine into a Spit!

Owning one, maybe. Engine into a spit? I don't think so, Tim.

> One version came with an all-glass roof!

Quite possibly, thouygh I've not seen a reference to it-yet.

> The one to get would be the "Federal" 3500 version, which is the same thing
> but with a Rover V8 and wild triple "bonnet scoops"! They musta been looking
> at a Olds 442 W30 when they designed that one....
> Hey -- that means the V8 would probably fit in any P6.... hmmm.

The 3.5 version came with a V8, the all alloy, 3.5 litre unit bought
from Buick.

UK police used to go for the P6s, especially the V8 versions, as well as
the subsequent SD1, which had the same basic engine and later got
injection. Incidentally, our island feds also used MGAs and Daimler
SP250s (Darts). In the latter they had to drive round at all times with
the hood down, to display their flat hats-perhaps to give the villains a
sporting chance.

Dave Hill