How a clutch works

To: "'TRIUMPH MAIL'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: How a clutch works
From: "Stinocher, Bryan D." <bdstinocher@sewsus.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 14:10:19 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Listers,

I am basically an ignorant cuss when it comes to cars. I can figure a lot of
things out (hence, my attempt to restore my car), but for the life of me I
can't figure out how the clutch works. I rebuilt everything (yes, it is in
correctly), but how does it work?

You press on the clutch pedal. It is hydraulically activated at the clutch
master cylinder and pushes on the clutch shaft. This moves the fork, which
pushes the TOB into the clutch housing (for lack of a better term) springs.
What happens from there? I am assuming that somehow the clutch disc is then
engaged/disengaged from the flywheel, and this allows you to shift. But in
looking at the whole assy, you can have the mainshaft going in and out of
the clutch disc (it seems that the "gearing" on both the mainshaft and the
clutch disc would get boogered up quickly that way).

Anyway, I'm not able to imagine this, and would like to. Any gurus out there
that can explain in simple terms what happens?

Thanks.
Bryan Stinocher
bdstinocher@sewsus.com
502-782-7397  xt 2284