Re: Adjusting a TR6 steering column

To: "Bill Elliott" <wcelliot@concentric.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Adjusting a TR6 steering column
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 19:54:44 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Bill,

I have a TR4 but the parts are the same.... I'm pretty sure.

This is covered in the Workshop Manual somewhere.

Loosen up the clamp on the steering shaft inside the engine bay.  It is
located close to the firewall and right where the steering column ends.
This will allow the inner and outer steering shafts to slip.

There are 2 clamps under the dash that grasp the outside of the steering
column... one way back close to the fire wall and the other up near the
edge of the dash.   Loosen these up and carefully slip the column in or out
to suit.   You can easily scratch the paint on the column doing this.... so
decide what you want and think ahead for the consequences.

Get the column where you want it... tighten up the 2 clamps.... adjust the
amount of shaft coming out of the end of the column to accommodate you
steering wheel and re-tighten the shaft clamp... making sure you butt it up
against the end of the column end.  There should be a washer there to take
the load.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4          CT16260L  - Groton,  MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site