TR6 Steering rack help needed

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Steering rack help needed
From: Vito Pacione <vito@argohouston.com>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 22:43:05 -0500
Well, I finally got some more time to continue on my restoration. I'm still
on the steering rack.

I have what I think is a basic question.

How exactly do you get the outer tie rods set up properly? I know you have
to screw both ends in the same amount of turns, (no way to get it exact
though).

I still have to finish rebuilding the actual rack. Then I guess I put it on
the car following the directions on the Triumph website.

So far so good (well at least until I actually try and attach it. Now I
guess I'm supposed to attach the outer tie rods to the steering levers.

What you will have now is the front tires either pointing out or in by the
same amount. I notice that the outer tie rod ends have a flat spot on them
for turning, but how can you turn them once they are attached to the levers?

Maybe you hold them and turn the inner tie rod ends (the round rods) with a
monkey wrench?!

I don't suppose it's actually possible to t=get the length right before
attaching to the levers?

I'm sure I'm making too much out of it, but I'd really like to have
straight in my head how to do this before I start. Has anybody done this or
had the same questions?

By the way, I'm trying to get the clear boots that go on the outer tie rod
ends remade. The current are black and not the correct shape. I am only
going to be able to do a one up mold or so, so each piece will be expensive
relative to what you can buy a boot from the auto parts, (don't know how
expensive yet though). Is anyone interested if I can actually pull it off?