Re: Stupid Clutch

To: "The List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stupid Clutch
From: "Steve Nabors" <topdown@eudoramail.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 22:30:30 -0700
Jason,
I just rebuilt my clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder with kits(rubber
seals) and it did not solve my problem with getting into reverse. I bled the
system with the slave cylinder bleed screw in the upper most position and got
all the air out but still having problems. I noticed the fluid in the master
cylinder is already turning black(a sign of seal deteriation). Either the seals
I got were bad or my master cylinder is eating the seals. THerefore I'm just
going to get a new master and slave and see if that solves my problems. I
believe the PO had this problem as well as he had moved the clutch slave push
rod to the upper hole on the fork pivot arm. It does help on getting into
reverse but does nto solve the problem. After replacing the clutch, TOB, sleeve
and all it was disappointing to find myself moving the pin to the upper hole to
get more movement. I have noticed wear in both push rods and plan to change
them first.

PS- This is not always the case with rebuild kits as I was successful with my
recent brake master cylinder rebuild. It pays to try it before buying new.