Re: Starting with clutch engaged helps thrust washers?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Starting with clutch engaged helps thrust washers?
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 07:05:44 -0700
I'll add my usual two cents on the subject :-)
While I usually start the car WITHOUT my foot depressing the clutch pedal,
I don't do it for fear of wearing anything out.  First consider that the
thrust washers would have a film of oil on them from the previous running.
Some would run off but there would ALWAYS be a film of oil there.  The same
basic film that they would have during operation.  Remember, they are NOT
fed pressurized oil as are the bearings and rely solely on the oil exiting
the rear main bearing and coating them (by capillary) action, i.e. a splash
system, so the oil film would be the almost the same as when running.
Certainly, in the short time it takes to crank, start, and build oil
pressure you wouldn't wear the film away any APPRECIABLE amount.  Secondly,
at startup and while idling during warm up I like to circulate the oil in
the tranny and get everything thoroughly coated as the only lubrication
here is provided by the counter shaft spinning and splashing oil all over
everything.  Helps to warm things up making those synchros easier to engage.
My 70 GT6 had well over 80,000 (maybe 180,000??) miles on it, with the old
thrust washers still in place.   When I rebuilt it all components were
stock, well worn, but stock.
On the other hand, the 72 Spit I bought in 73 with 5000 miles on it (and
still have, albeit slightly different now :-}) chucked it's thrust washers
a couple thousand miles after I bought it -

72 FI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)